Regimental Memorial, Queen’s Park, Toronto
Regimental memorial 2013 Unveiling and dedication of the Regimental memorial 11 November 1923

Then came the momentous Armistice parade of 1923. A regimental memorial, of which Capt. E. W. Haldenby, M.C., was the designer, had been erected during the summer in Queen’s Park, being financed by members, ex members and friends of the Regiment. The beautiful granite column, standing in remembrance of the 61 officers and 1,406 non-commissioned  officers and men of the 48thHighlanders who had given up their lives in the Great War, was unveiled by His Excellency, Lord Byng, Governor-General of Canada, before a tremendous throng. It was one of the most impressive ceremonies in their history; hundreds of Veterans who had worn the tartan stood bareheaded and still as the flag fell slowly back from the face of the column. The monument, standing at the head of Queen’s Park, looking up Avenue Road, was surrounded by the Regiment in uniform, by ex members in mufti, and a proud and sorrowing host of relatives of men who had fallen while serving in the ranks of the Highlanders. Women sobbed in the waiting quiet, for the war was still bitterly fresh in memories, and the Last Post sounded in silver cadence with deep meaning. It was a moving service and when the Regiment at last swung quietly away, the base of the column was smothered under a mass of wreaths and poppies. On the four sides of the monument are replicas of the Regimental crest and on the face are the words:

DILEAS GU BRATH
1914-1918
To the glorious memory of those who died and to the undying
honour of those who served—this is erected by their
Regiment—the 48th Highlanders of Canada.
Extract from  48th Highlanders
of Canada 1891-1928, Kim Beattie

More……..